Lance was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. He completed his Electrical Engineering degree from the Ira Fulton College of Engineering at Arizona State University and Juris Doctorate degree from the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University.
In 1996, he became one of the founding shareholders at his previous firm of Venable, Campillo, Logan & Meaney (now Venjuris Law). In October 2014, after 19 years with the firm, he left to start a new practice. Lance is a seasoned lawyer who practices in all of the major areas of intellectual property law. He has prosecuted hundreds of patent, trademark, and copyright matters before the U.S. Patent Trademark Office. As an experienced litigator, Lance has represented well over a hundred intellectual property matters in U.S. District and Appellate courts throughout the U.S. In one of his most high-profile cases, he was lead counsel for MDY Industries LLC before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals where he obtained a favorable reversal in a landmark copyright decision involving the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) against Blizzard Entertainment, which involved the popular computer game World of Warcraft [629 F.3d 938 (2010)].
Before attending law school, he worked as a design and applications engineer in the Semiconductor Product Sector of Motorola, Inc., Digital Equipment Corporation, and at US West Communications (now Century Link) in Phoenix, Arizona. While working as an engineer at Motorola, he also worked in their corporate patent department.
Lance is an avid cyclist and die hard fan of both Chicago and his alma mater ASU’s sports teams.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Intellectual Property Law
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Patent Law, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 1997
- Supreme Court of Arizona, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1996
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2004
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2000
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2003
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, Tempe, Arizona
- Juris Doctorate – 1995
- Arizona State University, Fulton College of Engineering, Tempe, Arizona
- B.S. Electrical Engineering – 1991
Representative Cases as Lead Counsel
- MDY Industries LLC v. Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., 629 F.3d 928 (9th Cir. 2010)
- Obtained historic reversal of district court’s ruling that a breach of a contract term in a software license does not create a copyright infringement unless the term pertains to one of the five exclusive rights under 17 U.S.C. § 106.
- Ranch Realty, Inc. v. DC Ranch Realty, LLC et al., 514 F.Supp.2d 983 (D. Ariz. 2007)
- Established three-year statute of limitations for federal trademark cases in Arizona.
- Aqua Lung America
- Thermo Manufacturing Systems, LLC
- Wayward Nerd, LLC
- Arizona Federal Credit Union
- Coyote’s Ice, LLC
- Magellan Healthcare
- Pucuda, Inc.
- MDY Industries LLC
- Camgian Microsystems
- Angel MedFlight, Inc.
- Ironridge, Inc.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes
- Main Street America Insurance Group
- SpeakerCraft, Inc.
- Proficient Audio
- Trippe Manufacturing
- Texas Plains Federal Credit Union
- Seton Catholic Preparatory
- NX Level, Inc.
- State Bar of Arizona
- Ranch Realty of Arizona
- Triplex Training of Chandler, Arizona
- Current Issues in Patent Law, Dunes CLE, 2006
- Ebay v. MERC Exchange and Its Impact on the Market Place
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AIPLA, 1996 – Present
- State Bar of Arizona – IP Section, 1996 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Lewis & Roca, 1993 – 1994
- Rosenbaum & Associates, 1993 – 1995
Pro Bono Activities
- Maricopa County Judge Pro Tempore, 2005 – Present
- Spanish – Semi-fluent